Fall 2013

Fall 2013

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Resting

Maia got back to her room around 4:15pm. She was pretty fussy initially, but has historically woke up from anesthesia very irritable so this was nothing new. Pain medication helped her sleep from 6:20 until shortly before 8pm. She was scheduled to get pain medication at 8pm and was starting to get agitated about 10 minutes before it was due. At 8:10pm, I finally put the call light on to ask where it was and one of the nurses brought it in ten minutes later - sigh!!! It is given through her NJ tube so I was concerned that we were past the point of waiting for it to be effective and that she would need IV medication. I asked the nurse to get the IV med for Maia but before she administered it, the Oxy seemed to kick in (thank goodness) and sweet girl has been sleeping for about 1 1/2 hours now. Please pray that she has a comfortable, restful night.

One of the neurosurgeon residents has checked in on her. Dr. Y (Maia's favorite neurologist) has as well. Which reminds me of a cute little aside. Before surgery, I was telling Chrissy (Maia's day nurse) that Maia just loves Dr. Y and also Dr. W (the head neurosurgeon). They are both nice looking gentleman and I said that Maia had good taste. Chrissy said to Maia, "Do you like good looking boys?" Maia got the cutest look on her face and just giggled. Total coincidence, but it was too funny!

We are anticipating just an overnight stay here in ICU. Not sure if Maia will go the general care pediatric unit or directly to the rehabilitation unit. I think it may depend on antibiotic therapy. The infectious disease doctors had said 24 hours of antibiotics post-op, but Neurosurgery says 48 hours. So will have to see what the morning brings. I don't know how long the rehab stay will be, but Mark and I both feel the intensive therapy will be beneficial in her recovery.

Again, thank you for your ongoing prayers for our sweet girl! Please keep them coming, she still has a long road ahead of her. But, Miss Maia is a fighter and I believe God has big plans for her. It will be fun to see what they are!

Oh before I forget... yes, they did honor my request and Maia is now rocking the "no hair" scene! She is just as beautiful without hair as she is with.

5 comments:

  1. I continue to keep Maia in my prayers and I will pray for a restful sleep. God bless:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So wonderful to hear she did well and is resting. Praying she does well tonight. Hang in there, Mama! I can't begin to imagine how exhausted you are. Praying for rest for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will start with your end note...Maia will look too cute with a pixie cut!

    I am glad she is resting and I hope you will be able to as well. Sounds like rehabilitation has been made the plan and that sounds good....plus it will give you guys much more support (and you need it given all that you are going through.)

    Sending you love and hugs and prayers...

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uplifting Maia and believing for miracles. Keep believing Melanie and stay positive. I am claiming the victory for Maia in Jesus name. I believe in miracles my husband is an example of God's miracle in his recovery from his drowning accident he was a quadraplegic and had to learn everything all over again. His stubborness kept him going and he progressed. So keep believing and don't ever give in because the evil one wants us to give up. We know where the power is, it's with our Heavenly Father God.
    Upholding you all in prayer. I think you will be amazed at how well she does.
    Jacquelene L.
    Canada

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melanie,
    I have been following your blog and keeping up through Starla of the events. I just wanted you to know that I am pulling so hard for your sweet baby girl! If you need anything please don't hesitate to ask! We all love you here at Madonna Towers!!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our bloggy friends, but please keep this in mind.
"By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach." ~ Winston Churchill