Fall 2013

Fall 2013

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Slowing down to hear

This morning as I was racing around trying to get things done before heading off to the dentist, I heard God calling to me. I hadn't taken the time for my devotional before getting in the shower (my usual routine), figuring that I would have my time with God later. You know how that goes (or doesn't go). And that's how my morning was working. But, I could hear his voice saying "Come on, Melanie - take just a couple of minutes to spend with me. It's important." And I stopped to think how I would feel if God told me, "Sorry kiddo, I'm just too busy for you right now. I've got so many other things that are MUCH more important than you are." Ouch... yep, that convicted me right there.

So, I stopped finished what I was doing and headed to my chair to read today's message. God was truly speaking to me and I needed to hear what He was saying. The devotion talked about how incessant life's demands are and how easy it is to get caught up in the busy-ness of every day. We often push God into the background and expect Him to wait for us to have time for Him. It really is silly when I stop to think about it. Am I going to tell God that putting socks away (or whatever it is) is more important than spending time with Him? But, I often do. I stress about everything that "has" to get done and feel as if I am stretched to my limits much of the time. One of the Bible verses with my devotion was Luke 10:42. I'm extending it to include verse 41, " But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha (read - Melanie, Melanie), you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.”

I'm so busy with the unnecessary things that I overlook the good portion - my relationship with my Heavenly Father. As soon as I put Him in second (or third or last) place, my world becomes chaotic and overwhelming. And it is when I slow down to hear what He is saying to me and listen to God's voice, that peace enters my life again.

Funny... even though I was running sooooo late, I took that brief period of time with God and still made it to my dentist appointment on time. :-)

2 comments:

  1. AMEN!!!! I am guilty of this too. I like how you compare it to how we would feel if God treated us like that. Thankyou for this important lesson. When I was working and travelling on the bus everyday I used to do my daily bible reading on the bus, I had an hour with God everyday. It really made my day better.
    Hugs to you all.
    Jacquelene L.
    Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's a step in the right direction! Let us know how things turn out. Tharen

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our bloggy friends, but please keep this in mind.
"By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach." ~ Winston Churchill