Fall 2013

Fall 2013

Monday, July 9, 2012

Comments, aww, and really??

For those of you who wonder why your comments don't show up... we moderate all comments before they appear on the blog. We've been fortunate to have had very few unkind/inappropriate remarks, but I like to see what people are saying before it goes public. Spam will also make it's way in on occasion and we don't need that on the blog either. So, never fear. Your comments show up in our email as soon as you submit them, we just don't get them published right away.

I decided to take yesterday off from blogging. We had a full day and at the end of it, my hubby asked me to spend a few minutes with him uninterrupted so of course, I did. ;-) Somehow, that just seemed more important than blogging. The few minutes ended up being literally that, a little conversation, a kiss, and I was falling asleep - lol!

We did have a nice Sunday. Church in the morning, then home for lunch before running into town to get Maia's glasses adjusted. Before she got sick, we had ordered new glasses for her. Poor kiddo needed bifocals. The glasses came in while she was in the hospital and we had picked them up, but they were too loose. So finally, got them adjusted. I'll try to remember to take a picture tomorrow - she does look pretty cute. Spent the afternoon in the backyard with water wars again. Mark set up a water slide for Matthew using the garden hose hand sprinkler wand and the slide on the swingset. Matthew was in heaven while it lasted. He has such a difficult time with ending fun activities. So even though we gave him advance notice... "In 10 minutes, it will be time to go inside, In 5 minutes, 4 minutes, 3 minutes...," etc. he had a major meltdown when the end of play time came. But, he did manage to pull it together after a little while. And slept well last night after all that running around (yep, the stuff he's NOT supposed to do).

Maia and I spent a couple of hours in the emergency room last night. She had some very weird stools and the triage nurse suggested we come in. They sent the stools off for testing and sent us home. That's it. The resident looked in Maia's ears, poked her stomach a bit, looked at her bottom, and that's all. Nothing else. The consultant came in, felt her stomach, looked at her bottom, said "She looks great, there's no reason to be concerned." Ummm... yeah, I've heard that one before and the consultant was one of the ones who told us that nothing was wrong on one of our previous ED visits concerned about Maia's scalp incisions and fever. And no, I'm not horribly concerned, but did explain the circumstances of the past several months - for all that was worth. No blood work, nothing - except a bit of "tolerance" for the hypochondriac mom. I came home feeling very frustrated. We're still waiting for the test results and I fully expect them to be normal. I don't want Maia to undergo any unnecessary tests or procedures. But, I have also learned that she may not show us any of the "typical" signs and symptoms of illness. Thankfully, we are still able to use Dr. D as our
 "go to" person when taking Maia to therapy on the rehab unit. Will touch base with him tomorrow. At this point, he and Dr. S are the two physicians I trust. And I really dislike feeling that way. I want to be able to trust everyone who cares for my daughter (or anyone for that matter). 


Oh, I almost forgot about the "awww" moment. I had picked up a few activity things that were on clearance at a local store (33 cents each) to keep Matthew busy at church. He was so excited as he took them out of his church bag and played with them. After a little while, Matthew got very close to me and told me "Tik-oo" (thank you) and then put his hands on my cheeks, looked me in the eye and said, "You good mom." Now if that was not a precious moment, I'm not sure what is!

Tonight, we went to a meeting about parenting a child with special needs. We had attended our first meeting the night before Maia got sick. It was difficult for me to go back. Again, not because of anyone else - just because of how it "used to be." Thinking of all the things she used to do makes me very sad. I don't feel like I'm living in the past, more just grieving.

Anyway, the "really?" moment came when I started to get Maia out of the car (I met Mark and the kids since I had been at work). Usually, I put out clothes for Maia to wear the night before. I hadn't done that today. However, I had left some clean clothes (waiting to be put away) on the dresser. Can you see where I am going with this? Ok... first thing I notice is that Maia is wearing a dark pink/almost red dress. She has on light pink shorts underneath that are not even close to matching the dress (I could give Mark credit for putting on shorts to cover her bum if they matched). Then, I looked at her feet - she's wearing light blue/green socks and her pink dress shoes. Oh, my... I said, "Really?" I lifted Maia out of the car and it got worse. She was wearing a black t-shirt with a peace sign that says "which passes all understanding" underneath the dress. Could you hear me laughing? It was HILARIOUS!! I wish I had taken a picture, but we were cutting it close on time so I didn't want to delay getting inside. WOW - it was a sight to behold! It did make for some comic relief.

And on that note, I've gotta quit for the night. It's long past my bedtime. Pat and Jane - I will email you tomorrow. Forgive my slow response!!

5 comments:

  1. You good mom. Indeed.

    No worries about slow responses! I love the stories and Maia's outfit. I am well versed in walking out of the house with my children looking...um...interesting!

    Much love dear friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok it was a red dress with pink shorts, red and pink come from the same basic color. I thought it was fine Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you took a photo of Miss Maia in her new "fashion statement"! I hope the emergency room run turns out to be just one of those things, and that she'll have a good week.

    I wonder if using a little hourglass might help Matthew understand the concept of time passing - having a visual aid might make it more real, especially as many young children have difficulty understanding minutes, hours, etc. It took me forever to learn to tell time, though I was an early reader and very articulate as a child (I was read to, thank you, parents!). But I did understand my mother's little egg timer!

    Best wishes,
    Susan in Ky
    Cousin to 2 from EE

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds to me like Matthew must be healing well because he seems to have lots of energy and be hard to keep down. Isn't that a great problem to have? He is a sweet little fellow with a little mischief mixed in....and you wouldn't have it any other way!

    It is good that you got Maia's new glasses before she got ill because it would be harder to do now. I hope they are helping her. (By the way, Mark was just providing lots of color for added sensory stimulation! Good job Dad!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Men's concept of colour can be very interesting. Many times I have said to my husband you aren't going to wear that shirt are you? Too funny! We had the same challenges with our son with ending fun activities, always challenging. I think the egg timer could be a good idea. Good for you staying on top of Maia's health, even when you aren't totally comfortable with the doctors. I am the type I question everything, because they are human not God. It's been 2 years since my husband's accident, I grieved for the first year and even now the Mr. Fix It things he can no longer do make me very sad. He could fix almost anything, now he can't. I think your grieving is normal considering everything you and your family have been going through and all the changes you are living with, for now. One step at a time. Don't be too hard on yourself and don't expect too much of yourself. I think you are doing good.
    Hugs to you all.
    Jacquelene L.
    Canada

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our bloggy friends, but please keep this in mind.
"By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach." ~ Winston Churchill