Well, we are not leaving today after all. Maia had very little urine output overnight in spite of the boost of IV fluids. I decided to give her breakfast before trying any meds this morning and she did drink 8 oz of nutritional supplement. Vomited up one of the new anti-seizure medications and much of the drink, but managed to keep down the other medications.
Dr. D ordered blood work which looks ok, although Maia's white blood count is up slightly. He's not too concerned, thinks it may be concentrated due to her poor fluid status. However to be safe, she's going to have daily labs over the weekend with supplemental IV fluids in addition to her oral intake. If things are not better by Monday, will likely talk with Neurosurgery and reimage her head. Also, mentioned getting "other specialties back on board." I didn't ask specifically, but I'm wondering if there will be evaluation for possible placement of a gastric tube which would allow us to administer medications and fluids at home (as well as nutrition if necessary).
Maia's also having some funky stools, so they may be checking those for C. Diff.
Sigh... while I would prefer to be at home, this is about Maia - not me. And I was not feeling particularly comfortable with leaving on a Friday with her intake being so poor. So, it's good that they are keeping a close eye on her over the weekend. Discharge now is tentatively planned for Wednesday (6/27).
I remind myself - God's in control. He's not surprised by this change of events and He wants what's best for our sweet girl. On that note, I'll leave you with a new pic. Yes, Julia - even without hair, Maia is an amazingly beautiful warrior!!