Grrr.... my whole post just disappeared and now I have to start over. :-(
Yes, Miss Maia is going home tomorrow. We met with the docs this morning. Discussed the GI (vomiting concerns). They offered to ask GI specialists to see Maia before we leave, but also said that they have checked the basic things (abdominal x-ray to rule out obstruction and blood work for liver, pancreas, and kidneys). Advised that GI docs would likely tell us to "give it time."
So, we agreed with plan to get her home. If vomiting continues and we are not able to get enough fluids in for Maia to stay hydrated, I will be on the phone requesting an appointment for her to be seen. We are scheduled to see a dietician in a week and have been given some high calorie supplements to take home. On the positive side, there has been no vomiting today - WOOHOO!!
She will start outpatient therapy on Wednesday. It will be 45 minutes of OT and 45 minutes of PT three times/week. Speech therapy will start in a couple of weeks. Follow up with Neurosurgery in a few weeks (waiting for that appointment). Maia's spina bifida doctor will see her in two weeks and we will schedule an appointment with the general pediatrician within a week.
I'm looking forward to getting Maia home and in familiar surroundings. Praying that we see significant improvement once that happens.I am also anxious to have our family all together again. It's been six weeks since Mark and I have been able to cuddle up together, six weeks since Matthew has had both parents home when he went to sleep. Six weeks since his sister has been home. It's time.
And we will hit the ground running when we get home. Mark has a doctor's appointment tomorrow - routine to get prescriptions refilled. I spent this afternoon at the dentist with a painful tooth and jaw. Found out the tooth is cracked and I will need a root canal, followed by a crown. UGH! One more unanticipated expense. So... Thursday I will be going for my urgent root canal (my first). And on Friday, Matthew has outpatient surgery. How much more excitement can we fit into one week?
That's what I get for telling God a couple of months ago that life seemed quiet and uneventful. ;-) If you would pray for all of these issues, it would be so appreciated. I'm praying that God will just completely remove my tooth problem so that I can cancel Thursday's appointment. Would you join me in that prayer request??
Also, pray for a smooth transition home for all of us. I will try to remember to take pics of Maia's big day tomorrow and will update you tomorrow evening.
Thank you for all of us who have seen us through this difficult six weeks, we hope you will continue to stay in touch and follow our journey.