Fall 2013

Fall 2013

Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day Mishap

Happy belated Mother's Day to all the moms out there!

Yesterday, Mark and I drove to Wisconsin for our annual get together with his mom's side of the family. We had the trailer loaded with three 4-wheelers and the dirt bike so that we could enjoy the trails. About 10 miles from our destination, we were approaching an intersection where cross traffic was required to stop. A car pulled up to the stop sign, stopped, then pulled out in front of us.

I've always heard people say how fast it happens - I've never been in an accident before so didn't really understand. Now, I do. Mark yelled something at me, there was the impact, our airbags deployed, and Mark was telling me to get out of the car because it was going to start on fire. It was tough to get the door open - I was scared. I got out and to the side of the road. Fortunately, there were other cars who stopped to help. God was really watching over us. I didn't have my selt belt on earlier (usually I do) and Mark had said to me, "The trailer is not pulling great - I really want you to wear your seat belt" so I put it on. Things could have been so much worse.

I got banged up a little bit, went to the ER to get checked out, no broken bones - just a badly bruised right elbow and some bruises where the seat belt braced me. Mark is a little stiff and sore. The driver of the other vehicle broke his collarbone and his wife is all right. We are thankful that there were no serious injuries.

Unfortunately, my Explorer is totalled. I'm bummed, I really loved that car. Our trailer, the dirt bike, and one of the 4-wheelers are also "toast." We'll see about the other ATVs. At least, those are just things and not important in the big picture.

Mark's family was a huge help - thanks to them for their assistance coming to the accident site and getting the 4-wheelers moved. Also, to Jill for letting Mark borrow her van to pick me up at the ER. And to Mark's mom and dad for bringing us home last night.

We will heal and life will return to it's usual routine. No more Mother's Day excitement like that for us please!

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you are OK.

    I hope next Mother's Day you are smiling with a baby in your arms.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our bloggy friends, but please keep this in mind.
"By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach." ~ Winston Churchill