Fall 2013

Fall 2013

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Thankful Thursday

The day almost got away from me... I was lying next to Maia as she was falling asleep and God reminded me that it was Thursday and I had a lot to be thankful for.
  • Of course, first and foremost I am thankful for God's protection over Maia. If her shunt has truly not been functioning since we got her home, it is amazing that she has not had more difficulties. Our loving Father has kept her safe since birth, knowing that we would travel around the world to bring her home as our child. He kept sweet Maia healthy over the past year and was there in the OR with her  yesterday, holding her in His arms when we couldn't, guiding the hands of Dr. W, and the entire team caring for her.
  • Second, I am thankful for the health care team who made our hospital stay uneventful. Miss Maia charmed all of the nurses caring for her (go figure... lol!). As each niurse finished her shift, she would bring the next one in to meet us, saying something along the lines of  "See, isn't she absolutely adorable (precious, an angel, etc.)?" Good thing Maia doesn't quite get it, we might not have been able to live with her ego otherwise.  Anyway, the nurses were all compassionate, caring, and committed to making sure that Maia was comfortable.
  • Third, I am thankful for the evidence of bonding that Maia showed over the past two days. When she was scared, in pain, overwhelmed, she reached for us. Yesterday when Maia was getting admitted, the nurse was going to take her out of her room to check her height. Maia got a few steps out the door with the nurse (I was following behind), stopped and said "No... Mama." She came back to take my hand. Last night, she wanted me to crawl in bed and sleep with her. She will reach up and wrap my arm around her. Tonight, Maia fell asleep holding my hand. While that may not seem like a big deal, this is huge! When we first came home, Maia barely allowed us to touch her and when we did, it was only on her terms. No eye contact, no affection, it was all foreign to her. God has created a strong, deep attachment in this precious girl and as I watched her fall asleep, all I could do was praise Him for the wonderful gift that He has given us.
  • Next, I am thankful that we are home together as a family tonight. Matthew had a wonderful time spending last night at Nana and Papa's, but I missed him (and our comfortable bed). Even though it was only one night away from home, it still feels wonderful to be back in our comfortable surroundings. Maia even commented about our whole family being home.
  • All of the prayers that have been lifted to heaven on Maia's behalf. The peace that was with us could only have come from God. Thanks to all of you who included us in your prayers - we are so blessed to have friends storming heaven on our behalf.
There are so many other things I am thankful for but since sleep was pretty limited last night, I am going to stop there and head for bed. What made your list of things to be thankful for today??

2 comments:

  1. I am thankful for the resources my family has that keeps a shelter over our heads and food on our table. I am thankful for the love that courses through my household. I am thankful for my husband who is a giving, holy man.

    I am also thankful for your love note. It got applied to this dear girl:

    http://reecesrainbow.org/26309/laurel

    Thanks Marc and Melanie. Have a great weekend all together! So glad Miss Maia is doing well!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, we got our Valentine!!! This was such a cool idea, I will have to do it next year if they do it. I chose Sammy 23HA because he stole my heart the first time I saw him :)

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our bloggy friends, but please keep this in mind.
"By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach." ~ Winston Churchill