Fall 2013

Fall 2013

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day and Maia update

First, I want to wish each of you a blessed Valentine's Day filled with love, laughter, and joy! For those of you who may be feeling alone, unappreciated, unloved on this day that seems to be only for couples, I will share this. God loves you more passionately than any human being can. He desires a relationship with you and actively pursues you! His love is perfect - something our spouse, friends, children, family can never be. Your heart will overflow with joy when you open it to our heavenly Father. It is my prayer that each of you who read this may feel His grace and tenderness today!

And now for the Maia update... we met with the neurosurgeon last Thursday. He confirmed that Maia's shunt is dislodged and not draining at all. Additionally, a piece of the shunt has broken off and is resting her her left ventricle. Dr. W says that he is not sure why the shunt was placed on that side in the first place, as the right ventricle of the brain is larger and better for drainage. We were given two options: #1 surgery, #2 watch Maia and see how she tolerates things with the shunt not draining. Initially my thought was that she has done so well, maybe we could just wait and see. But then, Dr. W said "If we do that, Maia will keep me awake at night worrying about how she is doing and what may be happening inside her brain." Enough said!
We are proceeding with surgery tomorrow. The plan is to remove the old shunt pieces, although they sometimes become brittle and break easily. If there is any sign of bleeding or problems with removal, the current shunt will be left in place. A new shunt will be placed in the right ventricle. If all goes well, Maia will go to the general care unit after surgery. If it is necessary to place a drain (for bleeding) or there are other complications, she will go to the pediatric ICU. Best case scenario, she will be able to go home the following day.

I have held it together pretty well anticipating this. I know it is a routine surgery and I have the utmost trust in Dr. W. Maia will be in excellent hands (and held in God's hands as well). But this is still my sweet girl and I have no control over the situation. Last night, I had a little meltdown at dinner. The result of a long, stressful day at work, rotten road conditions on the drive home, and thinking about the upcoming surgery. Today, I'm still teary but better. 

Anyway... please keep Miss Maia in your prayers tomorrow. We will try to post as we are able throughout the day.

6 comments:

  1. Happy Valentine's Day!
    I received the Valentine's Love Note today, thank you so much! It was a very hard decision, but in the end I had to pick Kurt, since he had $0 in his account.

    Many blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, my prayers and those of my family are with you all and Miss Maia and the doctors and nurses tending to her. What an ordeal...even if it is routine! Just keep breathing, cry when you need to and pray, as we will be. I'll be sending good thoughts tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Prayers our with Maia and your family as she prepares for surgery. I know that God will keep her safe! I look forwarded to reading the GREAT report on how God kept her:) Romans 8:28
    And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for the Lord to guide surgeon's hand, uncomplicated surgery, quick recovery, and PEACE for Mama! Looking forward to the updates tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying and thinking of all of you LOTS today! *HUGS*~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got my love note! Thank you so very much! I chose to make a contribution to Igor (in Orphanage 1). What a great gift.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our bloggy friends, but please keep this in mind.
"By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach." ~ Winston Churchill