Fall 2013

Fall 2013

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Thankful Thursday

It's been a while since I have written a thankful Thursday post. Part of me doesn't really feel like it. My heart is heavy tonight, heavy with losses - not ones that affect me personally per se. One of my co-workers' father passed away unexpectedly early this morning. One of my father-in-law's close friends died unexpectedly of a heart attack today. One of Mark's former co-workers lost his 13 year old daughter to a brain tumor this past week. A couple of my favorite patients have died in the last two weeks. My heart aches for all who are affected by the loss of loved ones.
And yet in spite of this heaviness, I am reminded that God asks us to thank Him "in all things." That doesn't mean to thank Him for only the good things in our lives, only the happy moments. It doesn't mean to thank Him when we feel like it. It means we should thank Him at all times, even when we are in the midst of grief. God is present even in life's toughest moments. And we can be thankful that He never leaves us. His promises are perfect! And His plan is perfect!! Someday, we will be able to see the bigger picture and say, "Ok... I get it now, God." But in the meantime, we have to trust that He knows what He is doing - a whole lot better than we do.
So, I am making a conscious choice to be thankful. What am I thankful for??
  • Well, the first thing that comes to mind is that I am thankful for all of the families who are in the process of adopting. Especially those that are bringing home their kiddos from Ukraine (only because a piece of my heart is there).
  • I am thankful for safety. Winter finally decided to show it's face and the roads coming home from work yesterday as well as going to/from work today were not pleasant. Thanks to God for keeping me safe as I drive.
  • Health... Our household has pretty much had every variation of the respiratory bug possible this season. Over the past couple months, I don't think we have went more than a few days without at least one of us being sick. Maia has got conjunctivitis right now (poor girl). And yet in the scheme of things, we are all generally healthy. Colds are pretty minor issues compared to what some people endure.
  • God - I am thankful that He wants a relationship with me (and each one of you). That the more I seek Him out, the more closely He draws me to Him. I am so imperfect and I fail miserably in many areas of my life. Yet I have a God who forgives my shortcomings and who claims me as His child! A God who willingly gave His son so that I might have eternal life. A God whose love is unconditional and unfailing. I am blessed beyond measure!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for that thankful post. I am in quite a mood tonight and needed that god-shot. I am blessed beyond measure and in my grumpiest moments need to be reminded of that! Thanks guys! I needed it!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our bloggy friends, but please keep this in mind.
"By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach." ~ Winston Churchill