Fall 2013

Fall 2013

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Application submitted - say a prayer!

Since May (and graduation) are rapidly approaching, the job search has been on my mind. Since childhood, I have enjoyed the elderly - I worked as a nursing assistant while in college and my first nursing job was at a nursing home. I developed many special friendships with residents and their families. One precious woman even gave me a cherised lamp when she moved from her apartment to share a room with her husband in the care center. It has a place of honor in our bedroom.

Anyway... I digress. The department that I currently work in has nurse practitioners who are located at the local nursing homes - providing care to the residents on a daily basis. It has been my dream to have a job like this. Before Christmas, a position opened. I talked with our NP supervisor and she indicated that she had already made an offer to someone wanting to get this filled as soon as possible.  She thought that it was too early for me to apply. Needless to say, I was disappointed. I planned to get my resume ready to go over my holiday break so that I would be ready to start applying for positions.

I had a terrific curriculum vitae (resume) prepared for school, but lost the flash drive it was saved on so had to start from the beginning. UGH! In the meantime, I was watching to see if the position I wanted was removed from the job postings. It continued to be there. So, I decided to contact HR to see when they thought it would be ok for my to start submitting my application for open positions. I was given the ok to apply for those within my department now and those outside of the department in 1-2 months.

I finally got my CV re-done. It still isn't as good as the original one was, but I am satisfied with it. And guess what?  The nursing home position is still available!! I know it's very early to be thinking about a job - I still have to graduate and take my certification exam. I don't want to assume that it's in the bag. On the other hand, I don't want to lose out on an opportunity.  So, I said a prayer and hit the "submit" button. If you would include my job search in your prayers, I would appreciate it. I want to be open to God's plans for me - whether it is this job or something else that I haven't even considered yet.

2 comments:

We love hearing from our bloggy friends, but please keep this in mind.
"By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach." ~ Winston Churchill