Fall 2013

Fall 2013

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Back in Kyiv and Matthew's having a tough time

We left Sevastopol at 3:45am this morning, it was a SHORT night! Vitaly drove us to Simferopol for our flight back to Kyiv. Alex drove Hansina, Morgan, and Mackenzie - as well as Olga. Leaving Sevastopol was very sad for me. I wasn't expecting that and I don't remember feeling that way on our last trip. But, this time my heart knows that I won't be coming back again. Sevastopol is my children's birthplace and when we arrived last month, I felt like a part of me was home. Don't get me wrong - I am much too spoiled to live here, but the time that we have spent in Sevastopol has been precious! The tears came again at the airport saying good-bye to Vitaly (I think he even shed a few) - he has been a good friend as well as driver for us.

We had a short flight to Kyiv - just over an hour. After arriving, we immediately headed to the Embassy to begin our paperwork to obtain Matthew's VISA. Following that, we went to the immigrant clinic for Matthew's medical exam. Then, Igor brought us to our apartment. The afternoon was spent trying to keep cool and get some water and a few groceries. We're all pretty wiped out from the long day.

Which brings me to Matthew. He is having a difficult time. Vomited twice, once at his medical exam and then, just as we arrived at the apartment. Poor Mark got the worst of that one. Pretty sure it is anxiety and fear. He would not eat any lunch.  Matthew is very sad at times and also is definitely testing boundaries. His transition may be more difficult than Maia's was. I think one thing that makes it harder for him is that he is quite verbal. So, it is very frustrating for him when he talks to us and we have no clue what he is saying... well, except for peeska (pee). But, he is already saying a few English words and I'm sure he will pick things up quickly. Maia wasn't verbal when we brought her home so she may have experienced less frustration.

In any case, would you please pray for our sweet boy? Pray that the vomiting is truly just nerves and nothing else. Pray that God will give Matthew peace and reassurance that he is safe and treasured in his forever family.

Yes... I know I have not shared about Gotcha Day and I will do that either tomorrow or Friday. But, I just wanted to give you a quick update and now I'm headed for bed.

4 comments:

  1. Praying for sweet Matthew that he feels better soon. Praying for your whole family as you start your new lives together. Can't wait to hear all about Gotcha Day!!!! In the mean time, try to get some much needed rest before your journey home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betsy forwarded your site & I have been so blessed by the goodness I see in you. Congratulations on your beautiful little boy! Please know I am praying for you all. With love, hope & prayers, Tina Jackson (an aunt of Gavin)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww. Poor guys. You both miss home. But, imagine how bad you'd both feel if you didn't move forward. I guess, just don't act afraid or frustrated. Smile...it's the universal language.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying, poor little guy. I can totally understand your sadness (melancholy); a piece of your heart will always be in Sevastopol every time you look at your little blessings! Maybe you can help the orphanage with donations to keep you connected. Just a thought :o)

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our bloggy friends, but please keep this in mind.
"By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach." ~ Winston Churchill