Fall 2013

Fall 2013

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Ahh... the heat!

It was another hot day here in Sevastopol, it was 91.4 degrees F at about 9am this morning. And everyone knows how I love hot weather - lol! I told Mark that it is probably to his benefit that the weather is so hot. I know my way around town much better now and would probably be out shopping seeing the sites.

We were late getting to the orphanage this morning so we didn't have a very long visit with Matthew. But, it was a good one. He was in a happy mood, full of love for "da-yee" and mama. Tried his new-to-him sandals on and they fit perfectly. He was quite proud of them (beats the lavendar sandals with flowers that he was wearing today), showing them to the caregivers. When we had to leave, he took them off without protest to put the others back on. Yesterday, we helped him try on the clothes that I had bought and I think he is starting to understand that we are doing things in preparation for leaving the orphanage.

Stopped to pick up lunch at McD's on the way back to the apartment. Had a short nap this afternoon and then walked up to the street market to get some water. Also, picked up cucumbers, sweet corn, and bread. Came home and then, Genya picked me up and took me to a salon for a manicure. His wife is a hair dresser and she arranged an appointment for me with one of her friends. $5 total for the manicure including tip! Boy, if manicures were that reasonable at home, I might be able to have them more often.

Leftovers for dinner and now, I've been trying to get our flights back to Kyiv booked. Thought I had a great deal for airfare but couldn't get the transaction to complete so lost out on the terrific price. Hansina couldn't get her purchase to go through either so we are going to meet them at the travel agent on our way to the orphanage tomorrow morning and buy our tickets together.

I've got so many thoughts about our journey that I want to share. I'm going to have to just take some time to sit down and write it all out. Soon, I promise. It's getting late and I need to get to bed.

A couple of prayer requests to end with:
- One of Mark's flying buddies was killed last weekend when his plane crashed. We don't know any specifics, but please keep Mark Ellis's family in your prayers at this difficult time.
- Pray that we will be able to purchase plane tickets at a reasonable price for our return to Kyiv next week. Since it is the height of tourist season, demand is high so cost/availability are a concern.
- I will mention this again as the day approaches, but please be praying for red passports for Matthew as well as Mackenzie (the Mickschls' daughter). If we are unable to get them, it will delay our return home and result in a significant expense due to already scheduled flights.

1 comment:

  1. I won't tell you what the temp was here today, but I was chilly so I shut the windows. LOL

    Praying for all of your requests. Did you have the red passport for Maia? If so, just be forewarned they might be a bit more expensive than last time. Jonathan's in Donetsk was $1K! Yikes! But well worth it as I had flights booked too.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our bloggy friends, but please keep this in mind.
"By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach." ~ Winston Churchill