Fall 2013

Fall 2013

Monday, April 2, 2012

Monday, Monday

I'd hoped to blog over the weekend, but just didn't get to it. Seems like we've been running constantly lately. Well, Mark hasn't been running. Poor guy, he's barely walking and sometimes, not even that. He really did a number on his back last week. Note to any guys out there who might be reading this... lifting up a riding lawn mower to take the blades off without any help is probably not a smart thing to do! ;-)

Anyway, the kids and I spent Saturday at my parents' house. Maia and I were part of the annual tradition of baking Bunny Buns for Easter (mom and I have been doing this for almost 40 years!). We also decorated Easter cookies and mom's friend Gail made some adorable bunny cake pops. Matthew got to hang out with Grandpa Jerry all day which made him very happy. He watered the cows and got to drive the lawn tractor. Couldn't ask for anything better than that!

Yesterday, I braved church with the kids by myself since they were singing during the service. Mark was not impressed with my fabulous less than adequate camcorder skills - lol! The kids behaved well given the length of the service. After lunch, they had a quick nap and I attempted to do a little organizing in my closet. Then, we headed to town to move some of my "office" to my new work location. Ended the day having dinner with friends which was nice.

So today, I started work at my "new" nursing home. I was up most of the night, stressing a little lot about the change. Over all, it went pretty well. As I wandered the halls trying to get my bearings, I felt my attitude change. These patients have an environment that is not nearly as nice as my old work location. And I think that stinks. Really, every elderly person deserves to live in a place free from odors with attractive surroundings, a place that is bright and pleasant. And I felt like God was telling me that I had the ability to impact my patients's lives in a positive way. I don't have any control over where they live or what the staff are like at this place, but I do have the ability to show them that someone cares, to have compassion, empathy, and respect for them. Maybe I will be able to make a difference in their lives. This perspective changed my approach to every encounter I had. I pray that God will remind me of this each and every day.

My sweet boy (yes, Matthew) melted my heart tonight. I was putting my hair up in a clip and he told me that I was beautiful. Later, we had finished saying prayers and were talking about Matthew's birthday. He can't wait to have a birthday cake and people singing "Happy Birthday" to him. Anyway, I had asked if Matthew had a birthday cake at the detsky dom. He told me "no" and I asked if he'd had a birthday cake with his "other (birth)" mom. Matthew told me that I was his mom and that he was glad I was his mom. He said that he was sad with his other mom (which did break my heart) but that he was happy he was home and that we had come to the detsky dom to get him. Brought tears to my eyes. Yep, those are the moments that make the not-so-pleasant ones worthwhile.

1 comment:

  1. Awww!! So sweet what Matthew said!! What a sweetheart!! Hope Mark's back feels better!!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our bloggy friends, but please keep this in mind.
"By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach." ~ Winston Churchill