Fall 2013

Fall 2013

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Good to be back!

It is a good feeling to be blogging again. The last couple weeks have just been crazy, but things are going to slow down now. Really, they have to...

I finished up my last final exam a week ago Friday, April 30. Got all of my final paperwork, evaluations, etc. wrapped up and had a couple days to breathe again. I was able to enjoy the weekend, spent some time with my sweet hubby, saw some friends, helped my cousin with some yard work.

On Wednesday, May 5 - I had surgery.  If there are guys reading this, you may want to skip the rest of this paragraph. I've had "female problems" for years - really, since I first started getting my period. It started affecting my life more as a young adult and tried various treatments with limited success. Eventually, I started taking an injectible hormone every 12 weeks which worked well. My first hubby and I weren't trying to have kids so it wasn't a big deal. Six years ago, I began to have heavy bleeding, abdominal pain and pressure. An ultrasound revealed a grapefruit sized tumor on my uterus which thankfully was benign. The surgeon was able to remove the tumor and told me that my ability to have children shouldn't be affected. So... when Mark and I got married, we didn't anticipate any problems. Unfortunately, pregnancy didn't happen and my bleeding problems returned and worsened. It got to the point where it was affecting not only my personal life, but my professional life as well. Because Mark and I were hoping to get pregnant, it made things difficult. Any treatment would affect fertility. After fertility testing early last year, we decided that pregnancy was not likely to happen and started to pursue adoption. I had more fibroids removed last year, but continued to have problems. This spring, I began to see a new GYN who finally offered me the option of a hysterectomy. I posted very vaguely about this after my appointment with her. It was such a relief to finally feel that my issues were real and legitimate. I asked to see the same surgeon who had performed my first surgery and he reinforced that this was the right choice, actually told me that most women would have been in his office years ago demanding surgery and that I had tolerated the problem much longer than others.

So... Wednesday was surgery. Mark and my mom were at the hospital. My sweet hubby stayed overnight with me which really was a wonderful gift! The nurses are good but they can't be in the room 24/7.  So, he was there for anything I needed. Thursday morning, I felt pretty good and maybe overdid a little because by noon, I was feeling pretty rotten. Got discharged Thursday evening and have been laying low since then. I can not say enough about how awesome Mark has been. The first night, he got up with me every time I needed to go to the bathroom - making sure I was steady and safe to move around. He has his alarm set to go off when I am due for pain medication, he takes such good care of me. I am truly blessed!!

And for those of you who know how much I love purses, this wonderful husband of mine came home from a quick trip to the "grocery store" yesterday with an adorable purse filled with beautiful flowers!  Since he is always suggesting that I get rid of a purse (or ten), it means even more. I'll have to post a picture of it later.

I'm starting to feel a little more human again - I'm not a good patient, it's much easier for me to be a caregiver. But, I am trying to allow myself to be cared for by others for a change. 

And it feels good to be back here, catching up! 

2 comments:

  1. Oh Melanie, I glad the surgery went good and that you have a wonderful hubby to care for you.

    If you are purse crazy you need to go on Etsy and check out Billboard purses, THEY ARE SOOOO COOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...friend...I have BTDT! The surgery is no fun! But thank GOD for our husbands!!!

    Check out hystersisters.com

    A website worth a ton of gold!

    Praying for you, friend!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our bloggy friends, but please keep this in mind.
"By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach." ~ Winston Churchill