Fall 2013

Fall 2013

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

What if? God's response

Let me start out by saying that I am tired so this post doesn't flow quite as smoothly as I would like it to. But, it seems important to get this done tonight so here goes.

One of the blogs I follow is written by Lorraine. For those of you who have followed my blog for a little while, Lorraine is Chrissy’s mom. Chrissy is the precious angel who fought long and hard to recover from heart surgery, but is now bossing her heart in heaven. Anyway… Lorraine’s blog today really struck a note with me and I feel compelled to share here with you.


Maybe you are considering adoption, but there are barriers holding you back. Maybe you have never thought about adoption. Maybe you have thought about it, but decided it’s not for you – for whatever reason.

But, for each of those arguments – God has a response.

My(Your) Argument – I’m too ______________ (fill in the blank; rich, poor, fat, skinny, old, young, single, divorced, set in my ways, etc - whatever it may be).
Response – What if God decided that whatever your ______ (blank) was should be reason not to call you His child any longer? What if His love for us was based on how perfect we are?

My (Your) argument – My house is too big, too small, etc. ( whatever the “issue” with your house is).
Response – Jesus said, In my Father’s house, there are many rooms. I go there to prepare a place for you. What if He had said, “Sorry… my house doesn’t have enough room for you?”

My (Your) Argument – I’d love to adopt, but I want a child who is __________ (fill in the blank; white, black, purple, green, boy, girl, perfectly healthy, smart, beautiful, etc)
Response – What if God said, “I’d love to call you my child, but you aren’t _______(your blank) enough for me to claim you as my own.

My (Your) Argument – I can’t afford to adopt.
Response – What if God said, “The price is too high, I can’t send my ONLY Son to die for your sins?”

I could go on and on with arguments and responses. I’m not proud to say that I have made many of those arguments myself. Mark and I are not going to be young parents. We’re overweight, we don’t have a big house. Although the lifestyle we live now is comfortable, we aren’t rich by any means. Adopting means cutting back on things that I really enjoy. It’s not going to be easy. I am selfish. I’m not going to be a “beautiful” mom – my child will probably be embarrassed by me. I am conservative, somewhat old fashioned. I have issues, I’m insecure and unsure of myself at times. I like to be in control, there are times when I am not very tolerant. I am so far from being the person that I want to be.

And yet in spite of all the human shortcomings and failings, God loves me and claims me as His child. He cared enough to send His only Son to die for me to have eternal life. If we claim Him as our Father, can we really justify all of those arguments that I listed above and the endless list of other arguments that come to mind? Somehow, they seem a little hollow when I consider how I would react if God repeated those arguments to me. I am SO grateful that He doesn’t.

So… are your adoption related arguments really valid? I challenge you to ask yourself that question. Perhaps you can make a difference in the life of a child by saying “What IF I choose adoption to claim a precious son or daughter as my own, just the way God claims me as His?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from our bloggy friends, but please keep this in mind.
"By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach." ~ Winston Churchill