Fall 2013

Fall 2013

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Today we were "those" parents

You know the ones...

Their kids are running wild.  You wonder why they don't keep them under better control. Don't they believe in discipling their children, setting boundaries, teaching them respect? Really, those parents shouldn't take their kids out in public if they can't behave. Don't they realize how disrespectful it is to others?

Yep, I've had those thoughts about other people's kids. But today, it was time to eat my words. Because it was MY kids who were doing the acting up. And I just could not seem to get a handle on them.

Our Sunday school Christmas program was today. Maia wasn't feeling great (another cold) so she was cranky. When she doesn't feel good, she likes to just lie down on the floor. So, that's what she did. Took off her shoes and laid down by the Christmas tree in the front of the church. Matthew?  Well, he could not sit/stand still. He was all over the place, trying to stick his finger in the burning Advent candles, fighting with other kids - oh, it was a beautiful sight! Finally, one of his SS teachers had to pull him onto her lap and hold him there as he argued with her. So nice! I had the absolute WORST headache by the time we left church.

I know that our kids are not going to be perfect. But, I'd prefer not to be the one that everyone is saying "Thank goodness that's not my kid" about. My only consolation? Maia was not the little girl who was standing in front lifting her skirt up and looking through the see-through/tulle part of it while she was singing.

1 comment:

  1. Melanie and Mark,

    I just wanted to thank you for that blog post today. I am not sure if I have ever commented but I have followed your family and others from RR for several months now. (I can't remember because I am a mom myself and can barely remember my own name most days!)

    I had one of those days too with my oldest boy who is 5 and a really good little guy. But today...boy oh boy was he a pistol at a friend's baby shower. I left feeling like people must be talking about me and then I remembered that they were probably talking about the parents to be and someday they will be in my shoes and the whole crazy parenting thing will continue in the world. My little moment of being "those parents with those kids" was just that: a moment.

    Hang in there. If you do, I will too!

    Happy Holidays! I hope having both of your beautiful children with you will make this year the sweetest ever!

    Jane
    a reader/mom in Los Angeles

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our bloggy friends, but please keep this in mind.
"By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach." ~ Winston Churchill