Fall 2013

Fall 2013

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Three Weeks

Not sure if anyone is still out there reading - I know I've been pretty bad about blogging lately, but I think things are starting to settle down a little bit so I can catch up.

Three weeks ago today right about this time, we arrived home (yes... as in walked into our house). In some ways, it seems like only a few days ago. In other ways, it seems like it's been such a long time since we left Kyiv. There are definitely moments when I long for the moments in Ukraine. We were able to enjoy time together without all the day to day stressors that we have here at home. Work and finances were low on the radar screen. I didn't think about laundry or keeping the house clean.

But, it's also good to be home - to sleep in my comfortable bed in a house with central air, drive my own car, go shopping at places where I can read/understand the labels, see friends and family.  We (Mark, Maia, and I) are in our familiar environment again. Maia settled in to the old routine quickly. I'm grateful for that. Sometimes, I have to remind myself that things were challenging when we first brought her home, too. Well... I guess they still ARE challenging some days - lol!

Matthew is slowly adjusting. Although I can't tell what he's thinking, I see him struggling to make sense of all these changes in his life. It feels like he is bonding appropriately with us. He seems to need a lot more reassurance than Maia did, but I think that is to be expected given his history. He is curious about everything. We are working on establishing boundaries, but it is going to take some time. Matthew is loving being part of a family, though!

Yesterday, we drove up to my parent's place to check on the cattle, dog, etc. while they are away. When I told Matthew where we were going, he was so excited to be seeing "babushka and dadushka!" And when we got to their house, he ran all over looking for and yelling "Grandpa Jerry." He was pretty disappointed that they weren't home.

So bottom line, we're settling in. I can't speak for Mark, but now that we are home with Matthew, things feel complete to me. I was thrilled when we arrived home with Maia, but a piece was still missing. I can't explain it well, but I felt that way until Mark agreed that we needed to return to Ukraine for our son. It got better as we worked through the process to adopt Matthew. However, I didn't realize how much of a difference it would make until just a few days ago.

Ok... now that I am way off track from the title of today's post, I will just add a few pictures since we have been home.

What's better than a jack-in-the box? A Maia-in-the box!
 Meeting of the minds
 At Grandma Hansen's party
 Thanks for the gummy bears, Aunt Sandy!
 Matthew getting some love from Aunt Betsy
 Matthew and great-grandma Hansen (I just missed him giving her the sweetest kiss)
 Cuddle time with great-grandma
 Dreaming of driving my own race car one day!
 Life is pretty rough!

7 comments:

  1. I'm still here :)when I have time to read blogs. I'm glad you are finally feeling complete!

    PS You can leave me a comment because I am feeling a tad lonely on my blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are reading every time you post! Three weeks sure has gone by fast! Glad Matthew and Maia are adjusting well to being home. Thank you so much for keeping all of us out here in blog-world up to date on your precious kiddo's!!! They are too cute together. Perfect siblings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been reading about your journey since you were abroad getting Matthew. God Bless you all. You are all so lucky to have one another and Matthew is looking better and healthier at every post.

    May God Bless you and Keep you...

    Jane
    a mom in California

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the update! Sounds like you are all settling well. I totally understand not having time to blog! :-) Love how long Maia's hair is getting too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad Matthew is adjusting well - and it sounds like he's picking up English quickly too! Please keep posting - especially the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still reading :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read all your posts!! I love them! So happy everything is coming into place for you guys!! I wonder if you could do a post about the special needs of Maria and Matthew and all that it entails. They looking like they are just blossoming since they have been home. Love all the pictures!! So cute!!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our bloggy friends, but please keep this in mind.
"By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach." ~ Winston Churchill