Fall 2013

Fall 2013

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Matthew's first MD appt - didn't expect to hear that!

Days off go by so quickly... but I guess that is partly my fault since I try to squeeze so much into that short time. Today was no exception.
We had a meeting this morning about preschool for Matthew. We're thinking it may be good for him to attend a few days a week this year to help with socialization and maybe give Mark a little break. Just depends on whether we can afford it or not. Maia will begin ECI (early childhood intervention) preschool this fall as well. She qualifies for this service through the school district and I think it will be really good for her! It is doubtful that Matthew will qualify for ECI. He is much further along developmentally than Maia is and picking up things SOOO quickly - he already has about 20 words of English and is able to count to 5. We will have him tested just to make sure, but I'm confident that he will catch up with his American peers very quickly.
First doctor's appointment this afternoon. We had hoped to have Matthew seen by the same pediatrician as Maia, but she wasn't available in the near future so he saw a different doctor which was fine. She asked if we had any specific concerns and we asked about checking for diabetes. After we first got home, Matthew was urinating very frequently and drinking a lot of fluids. This has improved, but we don't want to overlook anything. So... as the doctor was examining him, she found something that we were completely unaware of. Matthew has hypospadius. What is that? Well, his urethra is not in the normal spot. It is located on the underside of his "thing." This was not mentioned at any time in the information we received and to be honest, I did not feel that I needed to closely examine that part of his anatomy. Would it have made a difference in adopting him? No, but we just did not expect that condition. So now what? Well, he has an appointment to see a urologist on Thursday and will need to have this surgically repaired. Fortunately, Matthew will see the same urologist that Maia sees. He will also see a neurosurgeon because of the titanium plate in his head. This is the same neurosurgeon that Maia sees as well. And guess what? The ophthalmologist will be the same one who performed Maia's eye surgery. God has really answered my prayers because I have been impressed with all of these doctors as they care for Maia. For me, it is also a blessing that they already know us a little because of her.
I was hoping that we wouldn't need much in the way of specialty consultations and referrals for Matthew, but it looks like the next few weeks will be busy. Please be praying for our little guy - based on his response to blood work today, I think this is going to be a a lot more traumatic for him than it was for Maia. After the lab techs finished taking his blood, Matthew scrambled into my arms, crying and begging me to take him out of the room. :-(  One thing is for sure, he's got excellent lungs - lol!! Also pray for Mark. Most of this is going to fall on his shoulders because I just can't take time off from work for these appointments.

2 comments:

  1. I pray all things work out for Matthew. I love the new picture on your blog. I think your daughter looks like your husband and your son looks like you. Its the eyes. They have y'alls eyes! Isnt it wonderful how God works. So happy to see him home. Be blessed

    Ashlee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending prayers, I'm glad to hear it can be corrected!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our bloggy friends, but please keep this in mind.
"By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach." ~ Winston Churchill