Fall 2013

Fall 2013

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

I know... it's time for an update

I have not been good about blogging lately. I had thought that things were about to quiet down a little bit after getting home from Birmingham, but life just doesn't seem to work out that way. I will try to get back on track now, though.

I finished up summer classes the first week of August and it was a relief to have finals out of the way before heading to Canada. We stopped at our cabin along the way to welcome my friend Jo, her hubby Tony, and son Zach who used that as their home base for a north shore vacation. Then, on to Sioux Narrows, Ontario. Below is a picture Mark's parents' summer home on Lake of the Woods where we spent 4 relaxing days.



Mark's dad took us out fishing several times. Although I really enjoy fishing, I admit I am a wimp when it comes to the process. Mark is nice enough to bait my hook and take my fish off the hook for me. We were able to bring home our limit of walleye, 1 Northern, and 1 Lake Trout.


Thanks Mert and Joanne for a nice vacation! We enjoyed spending time with you.

Last Friday, our social worker Becky came for our "home visit" - see the neighborhood, our house, yard, etc. It sounds like lots of people get very nervous about this, but it wasn't stressful for us. We feel comfortable with Becky and understand the rationale for this part of our home study. One step closer to completion - yay! We now start the education piece of the process, learning more about adoption and related issues.

On Saturday, Mark went 4-wheeling with friends Tim, Brad, and Brad's son Cody - they had a great time, although Mark's cell phone ended up at the bottom of a mud puddle (I use that term lightly - bog is probably more appropriate). Betsy (Mark's sister), Tim, Gavin (Betsy's son), and John (Tim's son) spent Saturday night with us before leaving for Indiana Sunday morning. While they are gone, we are dog-sitting for Regis a.k.a. Dryfus. Meechie doesn't mind one bit, Vivien is not quite as tolerant. Luckily, Regis is a very laid back dog!

Sunday afternoon, we enjoyed a visit with Sabrina and Guillaime (who are visiting from France) and my parents. They first met Sabrina quite a few years ago when she was here as a chaperone for students spending a month here in the US. She and my mom have been great friends since that first visit and Sabrina has travelled here on vacation several times. I will try to get their picture downloaded in the next couple days. Mark and Guillaime share an interest in ultralight planes so they enjoyed talking about flight stuff.

I've had a break from clinicals with everything that's been going on, but was back in Fairmont yesterday and today. I was feeling a little "rusty" but it's good to be learning and doing again. This morning, the daughter of one of the patients gave me a sweet compliment, that I will make a "great nurse practitioner." Hearing feedback like that makes it a little bit easier to keep going on the days when I really just want to be a "normal" person again and not feel like I am running in 20 different directions. I enjoy the patients and know that as I continue to develop my skills, I can make a difference in people's lives. That is important to me. Classes resumed today so I am off and running again. Graduation is only 262 days away (not that I am counting - lol)!
Our hopes for adopting are never far from my mind and there are a couple of my random musings that I hope to share here in the near future. So, stay tuned - more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from our bloggy friends, but please keep this in mind.
"By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach." ~ Winston Churchill