Fall 2013

Fall 2013

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Thankful Tuesday??

I'm a few days early for Thankful Thursday, but since it's Tuesday - I think that works just as well! 

I am VERY thankful to be home safe this evening. Today was one of my clinical days so I headed out a little before 6am. I drive about 25 miles on a state highway and the rest of the trip (85 miles) is interstate. The state highway tends to be a little "iffy" at times and today was no exception. About 10 miles into my trip, a car was flipped upside down on the opposite side of the road. Kept going and when I hit I-35, the road was dry. YAY! I-90 was all right for about 10 miles, but then there started to be some icy patches. The next 10 miles were passable, but soon turned to glare ice. I was only going about 30mph and had absolutely no traction - Yep, you guessed it. Off into the median I went.

Is that something to be thankful for? Well, not really... HOWEVER, I am thankful that I was not hurt. I'm thankful although I hit a steel post, my vehicle wasn't damaged. The tow truck arrived within about 30 minutes to pull me out so I didn't have to wait long. I followed the tow truck to the truck stop to pay my bill and the clerk commented, "I can't believe you are smiling after this." I have to admit that I was surprised I was smiling, too - lol! I made it safely to Fairmont (only an hour late) and had a good day there. I was a little concerned about the trip home, but figured that things HAD to have improved over the day, right? Well, for about 5 miles the road was fine. Then, it was more of the glare ice. So, I decided to take back roads instead of the interstate. They weren't any better (and in some spots were maybe even worse), but at least I didn't have semi trucks whipping by (sorry, honey!) and I could go as slow as I wanted. On a perfect day, I can make the trip in about 1 hour and 50 minutes. Coming home this evening took me 3 hours.

But, I am home safe and very thankful for that!! I will be sooooo glad when this winter is over - I don't usually complain but this one has been a doozy and made worse by my commute. There is an end in site, though!

One other thing... I really do have a very special hubby! Mark gives me flowers every year for Valentine's Day and he started a tradition with our second V-day together. I get a dozen red roses and then 1 white rose (or other flower) for each V-day that we have shared. So this year, I have an absolutely gorgeous bouquet of 12 long stemmed red roses and 6 pink tulips! Thanks, Mark - I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from our bloggy friends, but please keep this in mind.
"By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach." ~ Winston Churchill